Thursday, August 26, 2010

To Shrink or Not To Shrink - Introductions


Introduction
1973

Dear Readers,

            I am just starting to write books and this one is especially for children who like fantasies and have good imaginations.
           This book is about a classroom in a school where a boy and three girls shrink to an inch tall.  Can they return to normal size or will they stay one inch tall?  Can they find out who shrunk them?  Read on and find out!

*           *           *           *

Introduction
1977 

Dear Readers,

            I am just starting to write stories for the imaginative and for the fantasy lovers.  This book is about four kids who are shrunk to the height of three inches.  See how they struggle through their temporary handicap to grow back into normal sized people.


[Author:   I think I did a better job in 1973, don’t you?  Also, please note that the characters’ “shrinkage” has been since changed from one inch to three inches.]

*           *           *           *

Introduction 1990:
“To Shrink or Not To Shrink”
Part I


            “Larry!  Larry, come quick!” shouted the old woman.  She was ringing her hands anxiously.
            “What is it, Mrs. Rosenbloom?” I asked, running over to her.  She was standing under a large oak tree, looking quite distressed.
            “It’s my Sweetums,” she exclaimed, pointing into the tall oak tree.  It seems that her little angora cat had once again scaled to the highest branches.
            “I’ve called to her and called to her and she just won’t come down.  Would you be a dear and go up there?  Bring her down safe.”
            Since I moved into this neighborhood, Mrs. Rosenbloom has had me fly up to get her cat 11 times—that is, 11 times in three months!
            Did I say ‘fly’ up?  Well, I guess I did.  I don’t mean ‘fly’ in the sense of the speed in which I climb the tree or even ‘fly’ in the “helicopter” or “hang glider” sense.  I mean ‘fly’ in the “like a bird” sense.
            Now this may seem a bit far fetched, but I assure you; the first time I took flight, it shocked the hell out of me, too.  I remember it as if it were only yesterday....

No comments:

Post a Comment