Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Green Devil Strikes Again - The Introductions


Introduction
1974


Dear Readers,

            This book is about four twelve-year old youngsters and their robot, Robbie.  It’s fun-filled and exciting.  Read on and find out what happens to Living Land when the dreadful Green Devil decides to conquer its citizens.




[Author: The 1977 Introduction was worded identically, except that the characters’ ages were increased to their late teens and the robot’s name was “matured” to Rob.]


*          *          *          *


Introduction 1990:
"The Green Devil Strikes Again"
Part II


            “There you are, Mrs. Rosenbloom,” I said, handing her the precious angora as I glided down the upmost branches of the large oak.
            “Oh, you’re such a sweet boy,” she said, yanking on my cheek.  “Are you sure you wouldn’t like to meet my granddaughter?  I think the two of you would be absolutely perfect together.  She’s a wonderful cook and...”
            “No, I’m sorry, thank you,” I started, “I’m still involved with someone, but I’ll let you know if do I become available.”  Waving good-bye, I started homeward.
            Now you see, I’m not really involved with someone—well, not in the physical sense.  Okay, to be more accurate, not in any sense; but I do like this girl very much.  Unfortunately,  she is so busy with her studies, that she doesn’t have time for anyone.  It’s not that I haven’t tried; holy cow, we’ve been through so much already.
            But why am I beating around the bush, you know who she is—it’s Melissa.  Yes, that Melissa.  The same Melissa who not too long ago was only three inches tall.
            Anyway, when we got back, I turned in my modified science project and got my “A” from Mr. Dietz.  The “science project” was officially renamed from the awkward Rupert the Robot to the much simpler (albeit, not very original) Rob.  No, not Robbie, just plain Rob.
            But I digress (I’ve always wanted to say that).  School was out and it was later that summer.  We were all preparing for the next year of school, when I got that phone call from Cindy....

No comments:

Post a Comment