Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Time Tornado - Chapter 17


"Food Or Fodder"

            The mouth of the giant squid continued its munching movement.  I had my fingers crossed that the Multi‑Purpose Protection Field would save me, but his mouth was so big, large enough to swallow me whole.  Maybe I could make it through his digestive system intact.  If that was the case, I would come back out...what was I thinking!  I needed a miracle.

*           *           *           *

            A silver globe, about seven inches in diameter, materialized out of the side of the dome, the reversed effect of a bead of mercury joining the larger pool.  It hovered in the air about a foot above the girls.
            “Welcome to Atlantis,” came a third voice from the globe.
            “Thank you,” said Cindy, proud of her deduction.
            “You have been cleared for admittance.”
            “Cleared?  By whom?” asked Melissa.
            “Your liaison officer is presently detained,” came the globe, “please follow the blue carpet to the waiting lounge.  Once there, please make yourself comfortable; she will be with you momentarily.”  The globe vanished into the side of the dome.
            There was a sparkle of light on the side of the dome and an archway magically appeared.  The passageway was dark.  As Melissa stepped through the archway, the passageway was suddenly bathed in a bright, yellow glow.  A plush blue carpet materialized in front of them.  It appeared to be suspended in midair, just a fraction of an inch off the floor.  It rolled out into the passage and after about hundred feet, it turned left down another corridor.  Melissa proceeded first, with the others close behind.
            The passageway was all aglow.  Woba ventured a paw out to touch the air just off to the side of the suspended carpet.  The silver globe materialized without warning from the side of the dome and appeared in front of Woba’s nose.
            “Please stay on the blue carpet,” came the still calm and soothing voice.
            “Sorry,” said Woba, quickly pulling his paw back.  The globe disappeared as before.
            The blue carpet made a turn into a small chamber.  The room was black.  The moment Melissa stepped into the dark void, a flood of light, similar to that in the passageway, filled the lounge.  The light this time was a soft lavender in color.
            Inside the lounge was a table spread out with all sorts of foods.  Four places were set at the table and on the floor were three golden bowls.
            “It looks as if we’re expected,” noted Melissa.
            “What do you mean?” asked Cindy.
            “I mean if Larry was here, we’d be four.  And if Little Neptune was here, he’d use that third bowl over there.”
            The archway closed up behind them in the same sort of sparkling manner.  When they turned around they could to find no trace of where the archway had been.
            “Are we prisoners?” asked Cleo, tapping on the wall with his hoof, “or guests?”
            “I don’t know,” replied Melissa.
            “Getting weirder,” said Lisa.

*           *           *           *

            Now resigned to the fact that I was to become human chowder, I closed my eyes tight and squished up my face, bracing for the chomping to begin.  By my calculations, I should begin being chewed...right...about...now.....
            Nothing.  I opened my eyes slightly and found myself about five feet from the mouth of the giant squid.  But he wasn’t looking at me.  He wasn’t even looking at Little Neptune.  He was looking at the mermaid who was gently petting him on the head.  He seemed to have a smile (if that was possible) on his beaked mouth.
            She nodded at him and smiled at me.  The next thing I knew, the squid was gently setting both Little Neptune and myself down.  The mermaid blew him a kiss as he disappeared into a crevice in the cave wall.  The mermaid motioned for us to follow her and after another deep breath, we did.
            The cave wound around in a sort of spiral and appeared to be heading downward.  If this was a hidden entrance to some place, then the squid must have been guardian.  How was he to know that we were following the mermaid on her instructions.  He was just doing his job.  I just wished she had saved us a little sooner.  I had bitten what was left of my fingernails completely down to the nubs.
            After a few minutes, the cave opened into a large chamber.  Natural crystal‑like chandeliers hung from the high ceiling and dozens of mermaids and mermen swam about.  All bowed as I passed, and they tried to pat Little Neptune on the head, only to find their hands stopped by the Multi‑Purpose Protection Field.
            We continued through the chamber until we came to a very large throne.  Seated in the throne—crown on head, scepter by his one side and trident at his other side—was none other than the Lord of the Seas—the god Poseidon.

*           *           *           *

            Just as the girls finished eating, the archway reappeared and in swept a familiar looking figure.  Still dressed in her white flowing robe, the goddess Athena greeted the now well‑fed travelers.
            “Athena!  Is it really you?” asked Melissa.
            “Yes, my child.  It is I,” she smiled pleasantly.  The archway closed behind her.
            “Is this really the lost city of Atlantis,” asked Cindy.
            “It is.  I do apologize for the incident with the Time Keeper, but you have to understand, he is on—how do you say it in your time?—he is on Hades’ payroll.”
            “What time period are we in?” asked Melissa.
            “That is a tricky question,” she hesitated, evidently searching for terminology and concepts that they would understand.  Finally she replied, “Atlantis is timeless.  Let us just say that the earth, as you know it, has not existed for about 100‑years.”
            “That would make it 2096?” calculated Lisa.
            “I wonder what it’s like?” pondered Cindy.
            “I am afraid that you are not permitted access to that knowledge,” smiled Athena, “but not to worry, you will be returned to your own time.  We do have one question, though.”
            “What’s that?” asked Melissa.
            “Where are Larry and Little Neptune?”
            A silver globe appeared from the wall and headed straight for Athena.
            “Wisdom,” came the voice from the globe, “please report to Control.”
            “I will be right there,” she replied.
            “Thank you,” said the globe, disappearing into the wall.
            “I am being summoned,” smiled Athena, “please make yourselves at home.  You may wander through Atlantis, but please stay out of the red carpeted areas.”  She handed everyone a holographic tag emblazoned with their names and faces on it.  “Display these at all times.  Should you be asked, you are the guests of Wisdom.”
            “Your name is Wisdom?” questioned Cindy.
            “In Greece I am known as Athena.  In Rome, I am known as Minerva—I never was very found of that name.  Either way, I am the adviser for wisdom and the arts.  My job title is Wisdom—but you may call me Athena if you would like,” she smiled, waving her hand over the spot on the wall where the archway had been.  The archway magically reappeared and she swept out of the chamber as gracefully as she had swept in.
            “Wait a minute,” said Melissa, sticking her head out into passageway.  Athena was no where to be found.
            “She’s gone,” said Melissa, returning to the others.
            “Well let’s not wait,” said Cindy, heading for the door, let’s explore Atlantis.”

*           *           *           *

            “So that’s the whole story,” I said, completing my tale to Poseidon.
            “Well then, we must be off,” he said, motioning for his servants to prepare his undersea chariot.
            “To Atlantis?” I asked.
            “Absolutely.  You must rejoin the others and we must get you all back to the 20th century where you belong.”

No comments:

Post a Comment